Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mustard and other yellow stuff


He replied, "Because you have so little faith, I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to a mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matt 17:20

I confess that I am not a big fan of the common yellow variety of mustard. It seems like something so sour and yellow could not possibly be happy on a hamburger, much less my mouth. I do like some of the fancy mustards though, but I often wonder if the simple word "fancy" makes them more palatable than the endless generations of common yellow bottles that have stood sentry in my refridgerator eaten by everyone but me. But I love the allegory of the mustard seed in the Bible because right about now, that is about the size of my faith; I am really struggling. In spite of this struggle, deep inside me is a tiny pellet with the gift of life inside it; the promise of a bloom and with it the possibility of scattering the seed to the wind and creating a whole field of mustard plants bright yellow and green against the radiant blue sky.  I know this seed that I carry, this tiny, homely seed can create great vistas of endless yellow as far as the eye can see. This mustard seed holds possibility, hope, promises for tomorrow because the only will of the mustard seed is to grow and bloom within us, reaching for the sky and for the Heavens as our own heart reaches for the Creator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment