Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Sandwich


Then He said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Luke 12:15

I sat next to the Vicar Jon Perez of Epiphany Church of Marina and laid out a complaint against my sister who had cheated me out of a substantial inheritance, and a God Who could easily intercede in my dire financial crisis. He was quiet for a moment, meditating on my words. Then he spoke. He told me of a person in a room with a sandwich. Another person enters the room. What will the person do with that sandwich? Abundance in God," he said "Is not in how much you have, but how much you are willing to share. Abundance is a thing of the heart." But my sister, I argued gently, has plenty and is getting plenty more while I struggle just to provide for me and my spouse on one income in an area where work is sparse.  "For some people," he went on, "alot is never enough. They always feel like they don't have enough even when they have much." As I have been meditating on his words, I have been deeply impressed by whether the sandwich in my own life is not enough to eat, or enough to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment